Every dining guide has a list or category of “Best Views in
”. Zagat’s category currently has over 50. Aside from the usual suspects- places like Moonshadows or Geoffrey’s on PCH in Malibu; The Lobster in Santa Monica; Parkers Lighthouse in Long Beach- here are my 5 places to eat or drink with a great view: Los Angeles
1) Perch, on the 13th floor of
448 S. Hill St. -
The Standard downtown has a great rooftop bar- but Perch, which has been open about 2 months, is the hands-down winner for best view in downtown. Best at night.
|Perch yourself above it all!|
2) Yamashiro, 1999 N. Sycamore,
I think the food has improved, but basically this is a place to have a drink and enjoy the view of the LA basin. Best at night. (Go to http://www.yamashirorestaurant.com/ to see the views.) Hollywood-
3) The Penthouse at the Huntley Hotel, 1111 2nd St., Santa Monica – The most unobstructed view of the Pacific Ocean you’ll ever see. Best during the day- because at night, there’s nothing to see.
4) Café Pinot, in front of the Central Library, at 5th and Flower- The view is not up in the air- it’s the feeling of being surrounded by all the skyscrapers in downtown. Best at night.
|Looking up from Cafe Pinot (above and below)|
5) West at Hotel Angeleno, Sunset Blvd. at the 405- The circular penthouse restaurant that overlooks the 405. Best at night, when you’re looking at all those taillights, and are happy you’re not on the road.